Safety Message Spring 2015
It is that time of year when we dust of the bicycles and venture out. As do our children. Bicycles are subject to the same laws as motor vehicles. When passing a bicyclist, motor vehicles must proceed at a reasonable speed and travel at least three feet to the left of the overtaken bicycle. Riders should practice safe bike operation:
- Ride with traffic.
- Stop and look both ways before entering the street.
- Before turning, use hand signals and look all ways.
- Ride defensively, anticipate the actions of other road users and watch for road hazards.
- Pass vehicles with extreme care. Turning vehicles may not see you.
- Be aware of vehicle’s blind spots while riding and when stopped at an intersection.
- Walk your bicycle when you get into traffic situations beyond your cycling abilities.
- Park your bicycle so you do not block sidewalks, disabled accesses, building accesses or emergency lanes.