I-66 Widening Project Lane Closures - Week of 3/2 to 3/6/2015
The I-66 Widening Project extends from the west side of the Gainesville Interchange to the west side of the Rt 15/James Madison Interchange. When lane closures are expected, they can be anywhere within the project and shift locations daily within the project. All lane closures are subject to change and weather permitting:
EASTBOUND I-66 Lane Closures between 10:00am and 4:00pm Monday through Thursday.
WESTBOUND I-66 Lane Closures between 7:00am and 2:30pm Monday through Thursday and between 7:00am and Noon on Friday.
The Jefferson Street (Old Carolina Road) overpass of Interstate 66 has been closed effective Monday, September 22, 2014 because of the 66 Widening project, for approximately a year and a half. For more detailed information, visit the VDOT website.
Proposed Transmission Line and Substation for the Haymarket area, by Dominion VA Power:
Rapid grown in Electrical demand has resulted in the need to build a new substation and transmission facilities in Western Prince William Counties. This is Dominion VA Powers proposal.
I66/Route 15 Interchange:
- The Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB) awarded the design completion and construction to the design-build team of Lane Construction and Rinker Design Associates.
- The interchange concept brought to the Public Hearing was a Semi-Directional Ramp. The design-build team is proposing a different interchange concept called a Diverging Diamond Interchange.
- In a Diverging Diamond Interchange, southbound Rte 15 traffic is shifted over to what is normally considered the northbound side. The I-66 westbound ramp onto southbound Rte 15 and the southbound Rte 15 ramp to eastbound I-66 occurs in this shifted area and is able to enter/exit Rte 15 without crossing over the northbound lanes again. Then southbound Rte 15 traffic is shifted back over to the normal southbound side.
- The reverse is true for northbound Rte 15 traffic. Northbound Rte 15 traffic is shifted over to what is normally considered the southbound side. The I-66 eastbound ramp onto northbound Rte 15 and the northbound Rte 15 ramp to westbound I-66 occurs in this shifted area and is able to enter/exit Rte 15 without crossing over the southbound lanes again. Then northbound Rte 15 traffic is shifted back over to the normal northbound side.
- The Diverging Diamond interchange concept improves more movements than the Semi-Directional Ramp and requires less Right of Way.
- A Citizen’s Information Meeting was held on October 29, 2014.
- Construction is anticipated to begin early 2015 and substantial completion is Fall 2017.
I-66/Rte 15 Interchange Graphics
I-66 Widening Project:
This is the presentation shown at the Meeting in May 2014.
- The I-66 Widening Project was awarded to Shirley Contracting Company, LLC.
- The Old Carolina Bridge will be closed during demolition and construction of the new bridge. This closure is anticipated to begin September of 2014 and last until Spring 2016. A "Pardon Our Dust" meeting was held for the public and interested parties at Town Hall on August 12, 2014, to go over this closure, schedule, and impact. MAP SHOWING CLOSURE AND DETOUR
- The new Catharpin Bridge will be constructed adjacent to the existing bridge. Both directions of traffic will be open on the existing Catharpin Bridge during construction of the new bridge.
- The sound barriers are scheduled to be installed from Spring to Fall of 2015.
- Estimated project completion date is 2016.
For additional information on the I-66 Widening project, visit the VDOT I-66 Widening Project