Where & What to Recycle
Recycling helps conserve natural resources, save landfill space, conserve energy and reduce pollution. Be sure to recycle at home or drop materials at one of our recycling collection centers (sites are subject to change).
Recycle at the curb or recycling trailers:
- Glass bottles and jars - remove caps & rinse (No plate glass, mirrors, light bulbs, ceramics, cookware, drinking glasses or chemical bottles)
- All metal, steel and aluminum cans - rinse (No foil, trays, pans, aerosol cans or paint cans)
- #1 and #2 plastic jugs and bottles - remove caps, rinse and flatten (No tubs, containers, #3-7 plastics, cups, styrofoam, dishes, bags, wraps or oil containers)
- New! Look for the bin for mixed paper and magazines.
Prince William County Residents can now recycle mixed paper at the curb! Be sure to recycle white/colored paper, magazines, catalogs, junk mail (even envelopes with clear windows), and empty non-waxed food boxes (i.e. cookie and cereal boxes)! Just put it at the curb with the other materials you recycle.
Please remember to place newspapers in one brown paper bag, all mixed paper in another brown paper bag and any shredded paper in a clear plastic bag. Flatten food boxes to fit into the recycling bin (please take large cardboard boxes to the Landfill or Ball Ford Road Compost Facility). Be sure your paper is free of food and waxed, foil or coated paper. Recycle only paper that can be torn – no plastic coated items like the overnight shipping envelopes!
You can also recycle mixed paper at the County Landfill, Balls Ford Road Compost Facility and the 16 recycling trailers located throughout the County!
- Household alkaline batteries - deposit only at the trailers in the yellow battery box!
Recycling Drop-off Collection Centers
(Look for our trailers. Please use bins on both sides of the trailer. Place the specific materials marked on the bin door.)
- Potomac Library
- NEW SITE: Cokesbury Church at 14806 Blackburn Road (near intersection with Reddy Road) in Woodbridge ~ please note that the church sponsors a separate container for aluminum cans used as a fundraising activity
Dale City Area:
- Birchdale Rec Center
- Hillendale Commuter Lot
- Hylton Boys & Girls Club on Dale Boulevard
- Minnieville Commuter Lot
- Ben Lomond/Splash Down Park
- Balls Ford Road Compost Facility
- Ferlazzo Government Center at Route 1 and Cardinal Drive
- Town of Quantico on Virginia Street
Lake Ridge Area:
- Commuter lot at Route 123 and Old Bridge Road (Old Hechinger's site)
- County Sanitary Landfill
- Relocated! McCoart County Government Complex (trailer is now located in the new parking lot to the right of the McCoart building)
- Exxon at the Glen on the Parkway
- Linton Hall School
- James Long Park on Rt 15
- Nokesville Park on Aden Road
- Town of Haymarket on Jefferson Street
Please help keep the areas tidy! Take home bags and boxes. Do not leave trash at the site. For details or directions, call 703-792-4670.
We accept all materials listed above plus the materials listed below at the
landfill and Balls Ford Road
- Corrugated (wafer board) cardboard - flatten (No waxed cardboard, no cookie, cereal or paperboard food boxes)
- Motor oil or antifreeze - store separately in clean container (No other fluids or solvents)
- Grass, leaves, brush, branches and prunings (No food wastes)
- Car batteries (No alkaline batteries) * Note: accepted at the landfill only.
- Scrap metal - remove CFCs and capacitors (No car parts or car bodies)
- Mixed paper - keep dry and remove paper clips